Friday, May 23, 2008

Unapproved?


It's been a while since we've seen or heard from Andy and Emerald. They wanted to come for a visit and meet my parents while they were here. First they made plans to meet us all at our English center. Andy did get to drop in for a brief moment during a break from work, but Emerald didn't make it. They said they would plan on coming by our house two days later around lunch time. Then that didn't work out, but they said they could visit the next day. Again they didn't show up. Emerald called the day my parents were leaving to say they would come by that evening. Once more, they weren't able to follow through.

Throughout all of our disappointment in this situation, there is a scripture that has both drawn me and convicted me. Now we pray to God that you do no wrong; not that we ourselves may appear approved, but that you may do what is right, even though we may appear unapproved. 2 Corinthians 13:7 I've had to ask myself how I would feel if this young couple returned to Christ, but through someone else's ministry. What if it appeared that another person succeeded where we have failed? Of course I would be thrilled if they were doing right, regardless of the circumstances, but would it bother me a little that I might look bad--unapproved? This verse has become a regular part of my prayer time over the last few months. Partly, I'm praying for Andy and Emerald. Partly, I'm praying for myself.

No comments: